Cleaner Air through Trees and Technology
The urgency for reducing emissions, waste and energy grows everyday. Improving our business practices is an ongoing part of life at J.D. Irving, Limited. Since our inception, we continually seek innovative ways to successfully work in tandem with the delicate balance of the environment.
Highlights from some of our clean air initiatives:
- Irving Pulp & Paper:
- Reduced CO2 emissions by 65% in the last 10 years
- Reduced fossil fuel consumption by over 85% in the last 10 years
- $45 Million invested over the last 3 years for a new Lime Kiln and SO2 Scrubber for the Recovery Boiler resulting in an 83% reduction (2700 tonnes/year) in sulphur dioxide emissions as well as 78% reduction (25,000 tonnes/year) in solid waste from lime kilns and a 28% reduction in particulate matter to further reduce air emissions
- Irving Tissue Mill
- Reduced 10% of its fossil fuel use in the last 5 years
- Saves 20% more energy through reduced steam consumption.
- Sunbury Transport reduced its emissions by 35% by switching to a new truck technology to
move tissue rolls.
- Our Sussex Sawmill recycles waste oil - up to 12,000 litres per year - from our Woodlands’ harvesting equipment. More than 90% of our furnace fuel comes from this recycled source.