Chase The Horizon: Celebrating National Trucking Week
With approximately 2,000 professional drivers and owner operators employed across J.D. Irving, Limited businesses, we know drivers go the extra mile every day, meeting tight timelines and adapting quickly to changes. Together, they log close to 100 million miles every year!
Drivers occupy a critical niche in supply chains, sustain national and cross-border transportation networks, and operate across vast geographic regions spanning Canada, and the continental United States. They're often on the front lines, dealing directly with customers and making first impressions that influence those relationships down the road.
What does a career in trucking look like? Watch this video from the RST and Sunbury Transport teams to see!
As our businesses celebrate National Trucking Week, we will see:
- Driver appreciation events complete with gifts, treats, and prizes. RST, Sunbury and Universal Truck and Trailer will be promoting these events via social media.
- BBQ's and Food Trucks at Midland Terminals across Canada.
- The first-ever RST and Sunbury Driver Skills Competition, to be held in Saint John, NB in September.
- Trucking HR Canada’s 2021 Top Fleet Employers Gala will take place October 14 in Toronto. All three J.D. Irving, Limited trucking companies (RST, Sunbury and Midland) will be recognized as 2022 Top Fleets of Distinction.
- The JDI Transportation & Logistics Division will host a #WomenDrivingForward virtual event open to all employees. Women Driving Forward is a divisional initiative that aims to empower, connect and develop women in the transportation sector.
In addition, Sunbury Transport has a long history of supporting newcomers to Canada, with more than 10 languages spoken across its fleets. Through the fall, the company will continue to welcome newcomers from many parts of the world, many of whom will work as professional drivers. Watch this video to learn about Petro's journey to Canada from Ukraine!
More than ever, the Transportation industry is being recognized and supported as an essential service. With operations growing, we rely on talented professional drivers, owner operators and staff to keep the wheels turning!
September is Transportation Month
As a result of COVID-19, the world has a heightened awareness of transportation and the demand to keep supply chains open. Truck drivers, mariners, railroaders, and their support teams worked diligently to ensure shelves were stocked throughout the pandemic. Even through the worst, our teams stepped up and showed up. By road, rail, and sea, they always delivered.
We thank the employees who took every precaution to ensure their communities and customers remained safe. We thank their families and the friends who supported them.
Through September, we observe several transportation events. In recognition of National Trucking Week (Sept. 4-10), Rail Safety Week (Sept. 19-25), and World Maritime Day (Sept. 30), we encourage you to reflect on the role transportation plays in your life, and all the people who keep goods flowing to market.
J.D. Irving, Limited’s Transportation & Logistics Division encompasses one of the world’s most diverse array of transportation companies. These include Atlantic Towing; Harbour Development; Kent Line; NBM Railways; RST; Sunbury Transport; Midland; JDI Logistics; and Universal Truck and Trailer.
Are you interested in joining our team? Visit here to view openings across our transportation services. A Class 1 Professional Driver License is required for professional driving roles.