Irving Eco-Centre: La dune de Bouctouche
Irving Eco-Centre: La dune de Bouctouche was developed by J.D. Irving, Limited (JDI) to preserve and restore one of the few remaining great sand dunes on the northeastern coastline of North America.
Located on the Northumberland Strait of New Brunswick, just minutes north of the town of Bouctouche, the dune offers a blend of recreational opportunities and learning experiences for anyone who wants to enjoy its special beauty.
Park visitors can use the boardwalk stretching along the dune to explore both the dune's wilderness and its salt marsh without endangering the sensitive ecosystems.
This sand dune stretches 12 km across Bouctouche Bay, a result of the constant action of wind, tides and sea currents since the last ice age. Every major storm, its shape changes.
A rich variety of marine and aquatic plants and animals, especially shorebirds and other migratory birds, make the dune their habitat.
Educational and interpretive displays and public tours are offered at the Irving Eco-Centre.
Park upkeep and educational programs are fully funded by J.D. Irving, Limited.
Irving Eco-Centre features:
- A sand dune stretching 12 km (7.5 miles) across Bouctouche Bay
- A 800m (1/2 miles) boardwalk with ramps and stairs to the beach
- Interpretive displays and public tours
- Free interactive educational programs
- Electric vehicle tours are available to accommodate those with disabilities
- On site BBQ is available
- Special events to be announced seasonally
Visit us on Facebook!